Kilauea Lighthouse began lighting the way for mariners in 1913. Today, the lighthouse on Kilauea Point is one of Kauai's most visited sites with more than 500,000 visitors a year. Kilauea Point is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. After the light was decommissioned in 1976, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service acquired it in 1985 and currently manages the 31-acre site as part of a 203-acre wildlife refuge.